Commissioning Editor, (Maternity Cover), Language & Education, Research Methods Bloomsbury Education Childhood Studies – London
Our education list is an internationally recognized and growing component of Bloomsbury Academic with global appeal and a diverse publishing mix, spanning books and digital resources.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced editor to join Bloomsbury’s award-winning academic division. Working within a supportive and inclusive team, you will take commercial responsibility and provide strategic direction for the development of our publications in education and research languages and methods, as well as act as a manager editorial for Bloomsbury Education Childhood Studies.
- Provides strategic direction and is commercially responsible for language and research education and methods within the University Division of Bloomsbury in conjunction with the direct line manager
- Identifies, manages and secures new book publishing and digital resource partnerships
- Under the direction of their line manager, acts as editorial subject matter manager for Bloomsbury Education and Childhood Studies (digital product), working collaboratively with project teams, including commissioning and coordinating ongoing editorial content
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Proven relevant experience in academic publishing
- A growth mindset, always looking for opportunities to expand and improve
- Results oriented and business driven and with the ability to develop negotiation skills
- Highly organized and with the ability to develop and maintain business relationships
- Proven ability to work positively and collaboratively with colleagues and internal stakeholders.
- Handles and communicates information with sensitivity and professionalism
- Places a high value on content quality, author care, company reputation, and long-lasting customer relationships
- Focuses on solutions, not problems
The role is a part-time position (30 hours per week), 12 months maternity cover
The role is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP on a hybrid 1 day in office / 4 day home (or fully in office if preferred) work model. The office day allocated for this role is: Thursday
Please apply with a CV and cover letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the “APPLY NOW” button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by Sunday, July 3, 2022.
Bloomsbury reserves the right to close the position early if we exceed the required number of applications
Benefits of Bloomsbury
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join an award-winning global organization, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive advantages:
- hybrid work model of: 1 day in the office / 4 days at home (or entirely in the office if you prefer) – specific to this role
- 25 days vacation
- 3.5 days Christmas company vacation
- 2 days of personal well-being
Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an extra 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
Eye Care Voucher Program
That Day – access to additional wellness workshops
Corporate culture ! – Employee voice meetings, staff networks (BAME, disability, mental health, LGBTQ+ and parents, guardians and carers), 15 mental health first aiders trained in UK offices, publication events and access to resources free publications
For additional benefits, see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any origin, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please report to the recruitment team if necessary
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the original publisher and trustee of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic names. Read our story to find out how it all started.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a work environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, respects difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are committed to nurturing and developing our people to reach their full potential, and we know that our success is built on the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognize the urgent need to attract and support candidates from all backgrounds and identities to be part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please learn more about our missions and values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.